Skip to main content

Since I can't remember who I've told... Class of...

2010. Or that's the joke that has been made. It all started at the end of my senior year in 2006. I was done... All one hundred and twenty-something hours... except, those last three hours of French. I had planned to take them in summer school (you can still "walk" with up to six hours to take in summer school) in Fayetteville, but the thought of living away from home any longer was painful. I also got a job and was supposed to start work in June. I was in a jam. I was talking about it at lunch at the Pi Phi house one day and someone suggested I take French by correspondence. They did, and it was a piece of cake. Looking back, its a good thing I can't remember who that person was that suggested I take those last three hours by correspondence because I would probably say something rude if I saw them today. I'm just being honest. Anyway, I tried to complete the French class via correspondence twice and failed what I thought was only the first time. Long story short, I found out in October that I still needed to take the French class to graduate. Lovely. My biggest fear was telling Reid and my dad. Reid was so understanding and supportive. I really couldn't ask for a better friend to walk the road of life with. And, my dad's response was classic. He said, "Well, I never understood how you could pass that class without a teacher." He was exactly right. So, this semester I am taking Intermediate French II at UT Arlington on Monday and Wednesday nights. On Tuesday and Thursday nights, to supplement what I am taught in class, I meet with a tutor. In a crazy way, I'm kind of thankful for the chance to get to go back to school. There are times I wish I had taken more classes this semester, and I've toyed with the idea of taking more classes next Fall. One of the things I hated about my time in college was what I chose to major in. Maybe this was my chance to go back and gain interest in getting a second degree. Or, maybe it was to make me thankful for the time I spent getting my first one.

So, for now, what does this mean for going to see my mom? Really, Samson has put more of a damper on that than class because he is supposed to be 16 weeks old before he can be around my parents dogs. As soon as he is old enough Reid and I will start meeting in Little Rock (Reid from where he is staffed and me from Dallas) on the weekends as often as we can. The plan for now is that once class is over on May 7 I'll be back to my old Little Rock routine.


  1. When I read the title of this post I got a little angry because I thought you were announcing your pregnancy to the blog world without telling me first. HA!

  2. just came across your blog! too cute, can't wait to read more :)


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)