Skip to main content

Mom Update 12/21/2008

Dear Friends and Family,

Today was the second full day for Mom to be on the medications. We are still seeing severe swings in her mood. We are hoping this will become more stable as the dosage is regulated and she is finally able to sleep. She slept eight hours last night (she probably has not slept eight hours in the past week). She was much more alert for our afternoon visiting hour. She was walking (wandering) with her favorite CNA, Amber. She was a bit agitated, as well. 

When my dad and I went back for our thirty minute evening visit she was much more medicated after becoming increasingly agitated this evening. She was crying, hallucinating, and trying to get out of the wheelchair she was strapped into. I sang "You are my sunshine" and "Jesus Loves Me" to help her calm down. I was able to tell her how much I love her and how special she is. My dad did the same. I know she might not remember, but we will.

After talking to my mom's nurse today, the reality that she will come back to live at home is not practical. Even if the medication regulates her mood, she will require 24-hour care. This is something we all agree will be best in a nursing home specializing in Alzheimer's that provides lock down (to assure my mom cannot wander out). My dad and I are going to look at a facility tomorrow morning. 

I can't thank you enough for your emails, prayers, and comments. They are so uplifting and to know that you are thinking of us means so much.




  1. Mare, we will continue to lift you up. We're praying for strength, and courage for you, your dad, George, and Eleanor.

  2. love you lots, wish i could be there with you right now!

  3. I will be praying for you and your family--grace and peace be with you today.

  4. my heart breaks for your family. I love you and am praying for you... please call if you need ANYTHING.


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)