Skip to main content

21 week appointment

We had our weekly appointment yesterday morning. My cervix didn't respond to the home bed rest last week so I'm all moved into the hospital and will be here until the babies are born. I'm not dialating or contracting, the doctor just wants me to be monitored daily and to be here in the event something does happen. There's still no reason to think we won't be able to make it to 28+ weeks, which is very reassuring! My nurse told me that ten years ago she had a patient of with quads who went on hospital bed rest at 18 weeks and didn't deliver until 32. That was really encouraging news!

The other encouraging news is that the babies are doing great! They are all measuring around 23w1d and I'm only 21w4d. Our doctor was astounded and said that it is rare for a singleton to measure so far ahead, much less quads! I'm so glad the babies are so healthy and that my issue is the only one we are dealing with!

While in the hospital I'll be seen by a resident at 6 a.m. every morning and after that the on call doctor from my practice will come make his rounds. I'll get sonograms twice a week from the maternal/fetal specialists. Every three weeks from here out they'll do the babies measurements. My vitals are taken every eight hours around the clock and I get to wear these neat pumping ankle circulation things 12 hours a day (note the sarcasm there).

I spent the past week preparing myself for the hospital. I just had this feeling that if there was any change my doctor wasn't going to mess around and let me stay at home another week. But, I've still been really sad. I started crying yesterday morning when the doctor said it was time for the hospital and finally pulled myself together by late afternoon. I know that this is what's best for the babies and it's not that I'm not happy to do whatever it takes to get them here safely. It just hit me yesterday morning when we went back home to pack my bags (and say bye to Samson) that the next time I go home I'll be a mom of four. And I'm beyond thrilled, but I think I was in complete denial the last few months that I'd really be in the hospital for two or more months. I told Reid today that it really is crazy to me that I've cried over bed rest MUCH more than I ever cried about having quads. ;)

Anyway, on the bright side there aren't visiting hours and kids are always welcome, too. Samson can come for a visit once I've been here a month (some kind of standard rule). I get to "order" what I want to eat everyday and they have a kids menu that includes fries and chicken strips. There's ice cream and sorbet at the nurses station - all I have to do is press a button and they'll bring me some. And, my incredible husband is working his tail off to make sure that I feel like this sterile hospital room is a real home away from home. He's been nothing less than amazing through this entire pregnancy. Our girls have an amazing Daddy and will know one day that he was just as responsible as I was for getting them here safely.

I also just want to thank all of our wonderful friends who helped make it possible for me to be at home last week - Erica, Lauren, Clara, Ryan, Caroline, Christen, and many others who offered to help in some way - thank you! And thank you to everyone for continued prayers. I really could not get through this without all of your encouragement and support!


  1. I would cry too. That is a long time that you are going to be away from home. It's not easy to just sit around and wait, especially when you probably feel like you need/want to get things done. I am and will be praying for you and those girls!

  2. Many prayers for you as you continue to prepare for your sweet babies! I know you feel so blessed to have such a wonderful partner in all of this. You guys are going to be amazing parents.

  3. I love reading your blog, and will pray for you as you patiently :) await for the arrival of your baby girls! Try to rest and enjoy this time as much as you can- I know it will not be easy!


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)