Skip to main content

Mimi's Obituary

This is one of the sweetest obituaries I've ever read. Maybe that's because she really was one of the sweetest ladies I'll ever know. Just wanted to post it so I'll have it forever.

Mildred Allan Neal Dickey, fondly known as Millie by her friends and Mimi by her grandchildren and great grandchildren, went to be with her Lord February 9th. She was born in Highland, AR to Helena Erwin Neal and George W. Neal on February 19, 1918. Millie began school in Murfreesboro at age four where they lived until they moved to Little Rock where her father, an attorney, became assistant Secretary of State and later served two terms as State Land Commissioner. She attended Central High school and after moving to California graduated from Santa Monica High School. Millie then attended Santa Monica Junior College and later came back to Arkansas to attend Hendrix where she was a Hendrix Beauty for two years. After college, she taught school for three years at Bayou Meta. In 1941, she married George “Skeeter” Dickey in Chicago, where he was playing ball for the Chicago White Sox. After an exciting life as a ballplayer's wife, Skeeter and Millie moved back to Little Rock to raise their family. Millie, along with Lib Winger and Jane Critz, were instrumental in bringing Bible Study Fellowship to Little Rock. Millie never missed an opportunity to share her faith with others and had the privilege of leading many people to the Lord. She never thought of herself first, but spent her life in the service of others. Millie loved to laugh, to dance and to travel all over the world. She loved her friends and her church, Fellowship Bible. Millie had a smile that would light up any room she ever walked into. Millie was the proverbial southern lady. Even in her last days, she was more concerned with those around her than her own discomfort. Millie was preceded in death by her husband Skeeter, her parents and her identical triplet brothers, Tom, Dick and Harry, whom she adored, and her beloved cousin Geraldine Cannon. She is survived by a son George William Dickey, Joye Dickey Cook (Mack) and Mary Allan Dickey Bain (Jim). Grandchildren Mary Neal Cook Bridges, Sam Cook, Nathan Cook (Jami), Elizabeth Cook Johnson (Danny), Mary Virginia Bain Grandle (Reid), George Bain and Eleanor Bain. Great Grandchildren Caroline Bridges Peeples (Will), Susan Bridges, Mack Cook, Cash Cook, Jake Cook, Anna Cook, Mary Daniel Johnson and Lily Johnson. The last four years of Millie's life were spent in the care of her daughter Joye and her husband Mack. She was surrounded by her family with love and laughter and many happy times. She has left us all with a great legacy never to be forgotten: Love God first, then your family, serve others, share what you have, never judge another and to especially have a sense of humor. We want to acknowledge her cousin who was more like a sister, Jessamine Wilson, her best friend of nearly eighty years, Ella Ruth Roberts Davis and her dear and loyal friend Marie Freeling. There will be a private family burial and a public celebration service held at Fellowship Bible Church Chapel Tuesday February 15th at 1:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made in honor of Millie's daughter Mary Allan Bain to Alzheimer's Arkansas at 10411 West Markham, Suite 130, Little Rock, AR 72205.



  1. Mare, I am so sorry about losing your sweet Mimi. I know she's rejoicing in heaven with my Granny. They were such good friends. Love you!


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change