Skip to main content

A year ago today

It has been a year since my mom went to UAMS for what we believed would be a short stay. As you know, things turned out very differently. Eleanor and I have talked a few times over the past week about how sad we feel. Neither of us thought this time of year would be difficult, but we were quickly proven wrong.

A year ago my mom started acting out in some unusual ways. She stopped eating, drinking, and sleeping. She refused to take her medicine on most occasions, and spent a lot of time talking to herself in the mirror. Eleanor was telling me tonight that she remembered trying to get my mom to go to bed last December 16. Mom was so upset and confused and didn't want to leave her "friend" in the mirror. The next day I got a call from my brother George. They had to take my mom by ambulance to UAMS. That morning she became severely agitated and was uncontrollable. The hope was that after a short stay at the hospital she would be evaluated, regain normal fluid and electrolyte levels, and return home before Christmas. After two days at UAMS we learned several things. The two major ones were that She suffered from a UTI which contributed to her behavior problems. And, on a dementia scale of 1 to 7, with seven being the most severe, Mom was at a 6. It was then recommended that she go to Baptist Geriatric Psych for further evaluation and to get her medicine controlled. I can't even remember exactly how long she stayed at Baptist. I think it was around three weeks. While she was there we learned from the social worker that they would not release her to go back home. They said that even with care at home there was no way to make a home environment safe for her. Our option was a 24 hour care facility. My dad and I spent the week of Christmas visiting nursing homes and talking to them about her situation. After PV agreed to take her, we all agreed that was our best option. A year later, we are still there.

My sister was telling me tonight that one of her friends told her she didn't know how Eleanor got out of bed every morning. Sometimes I wonder how we all go on without my mom, too. She was our world, and we were hers. Some days, especially when I'm in Little Rock, it would be a lot easier to stay in bed, to pretend nothing ever happened. But we move on, we press on everyday, because we know she would want us to. I think one of the hardest things to think about going forward is that as much as I've grieved over the past year, there is still a lot of grieving yet to come. And, when we finally send her home to Jesus I know another kind of grief will overwhelm me.

Thankfully, I can say my family is truly closer than ever. My siblings and I have watched our dad fall more and more in love with our mom while caring for her each night. It is one of the richest blessings from this past year - to know our mom was loved well.


  1. Mare - I love you! I am so thankful that the Lord brought you into my life in Dallas. I have learned so much by watching you over the past year. You handle so much suffering with so much grace and faith and patience. Even though I have never met your mom, I know she is an incredible person, just by who you are. Praying for you and your family this Christmas.

  2. Mare, reading this post my heart just breaks for you. You've been on my mind and heart all week as Christmas draws near. Know that I am praying Jesus' peace over you and your sweet family. Your dad's display of true love is something that has melted my heart and been a true witness to all those watching this story unfold. I love you so much! I'll call you soon!

  3. My heart breaks for you. It is a blessing that your family has gotten stronger during this time and I love that your dad is falling deeper and deeper in love with your mom. I am praying for you.

  4. I am so very sorry for the grief you are experiencing right now. I am looking forward to the day when there will be no more pain, no sorrow, no death. May you feel the sweet comfort of the Holy Spirit.


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)