Skip to main content

The Past Week

Yikes... Nearly a week since my last post? That hardly ever happens. Maybe it is because I'm now retired and haven't figured out a good groove. HA!

Let me start with last Friday. It was my last day with Luke and Emerson. I miss them, but know they are having so much fun with their Nana this week and with their new routine with their mom! I'm old news to them! ;) As my little parting gift for them I gave them each a framed picture of the three of us that my friend Lauren took.

Last week I also got to spend some time with Harper Pardue. It was my first official night to babysit and we had a lot of fun getting to know each other better. You know, to be honest it was more of my awkward faces and noises and the baby just staring unamused.

She loves being outside so we made a little pallet.
This girl goes 0 to 100 in a hurry!
Inside we went for funny faces and noises.
And she's thinking, "Mom and Dad are letting YOU keep me overnight?"

That's right everyone... As of now the plan is that Reid and I will keep sweet Harper overnight while Corby and Lauren attend a retreat for church. We are so excited that they would trust us with their precious little girl.

On Saturday I left for Little Rock. It has been great to be here. I am still trying to figure out how I want to spend my time with my mom - what will be most meaningful? On Monday I had the chance to take my mom and Mimi to Franke's Cafeteria to get pie. My mom loves the pie there and I knew it would be good for her to have a fun outing. She did have fun and ate almost all of her pie - she must have been saving room for her nightly ice cream!

She has been so happy and content everyday this week. I can tell some difference in her remembrance of me just in the last five weeks. For example, I don't know if she remembers each time I go to see her that I am her daughter, Mary Virginia. The more closely I have observed the more I realize she greets me the same way she does the aids and other nurses that offer her a warm friendly smile when they greet her. She no longer lovingly refers to my dad as "Dad." I don't remember when the last time it was I heard her call anyone by their name. She can repeat names sometimes, but can not recall them from memory anymore.

Reid is finishing his project in Hawaii in the next few weeks and will be staffed on a new case soon after. I am excited to see where he goes because this time I have more freedom to tag along during the week. I am so thankful for his hard work. He is truly amazing - no doubt about it!


  1. What precious pictures....of you with Luke and Emme, of your mom and grandmother.....and, of course, of Harper!! I love her expressions! I am so very glad you're getting to spend this time with your mom.....what a blessing!


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)