Skip to main content

Dad's Visit

Last October, Reid received an alert from Ticket Master. There would be a Bill Gaither concert in Fort Worth in April and he called to see if I thought that would be a good present to give my mom and dad for Christmas. I immediately agreed. It would be fun to have them come visit and to see a concert that they love. 

Two months passed. It was the middle of December when my dad realized something had changed. She hadn't slept in a few days, wouldn't drink or eat, she was combative and it took a lot to control her. The plan was to have her taken to the hospital to get fluids. When she left in the ambulance that afternoon we never imagined that she wouldn't come back home.

As many of you know, she spent nearly three weeks in a geriatric psych ward (through Christmas and New Years). After being released, she has lived in a nursing home where she receives full time care.

So, how does any of this relate to my dad's visit?

Well, I did still give my dad the concert tickets, and told him I was excited to go to my first Gaither concert with him. This past weekend I did indeed attend the concert and it was a lot of fun. More than that, it gave my dad and me the chance to reflect over the past three months. 

This past weekend was his first weekend in six years to leave my mom in Little Rock. He hasn't gone anywhere without her since she was diagnose with Alzheimer's. I've never asked if that was intentional on his part, but I know this weekend was hard for him. It seems the "firsts" of everything are always so hard. The first holidays, birthdays, babies, trips, etc. The confusing thing for us is that she is still physically here. There is an immense guilt we carry as we continue living (as she would want), but at the same time praying for her to be taken to her Heavenly Home. 

There were so many emotions we both felt this weekend and I am really glad that we feel comfortable sharing them with each other. 

On a happy note, my mom was able to go on her first outing away from the nursing home. She went to Sheridan, AR where a lot of our family lives to eat lunch and spend the day outside. She had a great time, and so did my Auntie Joye and Mimi. We are also very thankful that she didn't have any problems going back to the nursing home. We are looking forward to trying to take her down there for Easter this coming weekend.


Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)

The babies are here!

Friends and Family, Late this afternoon we became the proud parents of three little girls. Madelyn Barrett: 1 pound Olivia Bain: 1 pound, 5 ounces Mary Grace: 1 pound, 10 ounces The babies are stable in the NICU  tonight and we are hopeful that God is going to move mountains as they grow and thrive. Madelyn's (Baby B) amniotic sac ruptured on Sunday night. We had a sonogram done each day this week to check her heart beat, fluid level, and position. The doctors told us Friday morning that she was not likely to make it and that delivering her was not an option as it put too much risk on Mary Grace and Olivia. Once again, we were told to wait and see. Around 4:30 Friday afternoon I delivered Madelyn. The NICU team was here immediately to begin working on her. When the doctor checked on the status of the other girls, he saw signs of infection and he immediately performed an emergency c-section to deliver Mary Grace and Olivia. We have seen the Lord's mercy through each to