Skip to main content

"Mom's" Suburban is Gone

When I think of my childhood I immediately remember a big body style Suburban. I remember the day we got it. I remember laying all the seats down in the back and making a pallet on long road trips for George's baseball. I actually think about this a lot and can't believe my parents allowed us to do such a thing! I now understand why my Auntie Joye covered our family's car with the Blood of Jesus before we went on any trips. This was the first car I learned how to drive - and I will say I can drive UHAULs without any problem because of it. Aside from the fact that, as I got older, it wasn't always the coolest car I am glad I have those memories. 

Sometime after I was in high school the old was traded in for a newer model. It was perfect for my mom and she loved it. She drove it for six years before she was told she couldn't drive anymore. After that, it sat nicely in our driveway. I still look back, in awe of her gracious manner, when a privilege so big was taken away from her. It was one of the first tangible things to be taken by the Disease.

For about the last year my brother has been driving it. Even during that time we usually still called it "Mom's" Suburban. Two weeks ago he bought a new car and it was a matter of time before something would, once again, be done with the old. So, tonight when my dad called to tell me they had sold "Mom's" Suburban I wasn't too shocked. But when I hung up the phone I cried like I had lost another piece of my mom. It seems silly to cry over a car she hasn't driven in over four years, but I want the changes to stop. I want to see my smiling mom pull into the driveway again. I guess it isn't really the Suburban being gone that makes me sad. It's my mom.


  1. I totally understand. I cried just reading the header of your post. Shocker. I agree that "Mary Allan" and "Big Suburban" are almost synonomous. It's hard to imagine her in anything else. You are all over my prayers girl.
    Are you coming home this weekend? I'm taking the babies out to Sheridan Sunday with Caroline. Would love to see your pretty face!


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)

The babies are here!

Friends and Family, Late this afternoon we became the proud parents of three little girls. Madelyn Barrett: 1 pound Olivia Bain: 1 pound, 5 ounces Mary Grace: 1 pound, 10 ounces The babies are stable in the NICU  tonight and we are hopeful that God is going to move mountains as they grow and thrive. Madelyn's (Baby B) amniotic sac ruptured on Sunday night. We had a sonogram done each day this week to check her heart beat, fluid level, and position. The doctors told us Friday morning that she was not likely to make it and that delivering her was not an option as it put too much risk on Mary Grace and Olivia. Once again, we were told to wait and see. Around 4:30 Friday afternoon I delivered Madelyn. The NICU team was here immediately to begin working on her. When the doctor checked on the status of the other girls, he saw signs of infection and he immediately performed an emergency c-section to deliver Mary Grace and Olivia. We have seen the Lord's mercy through each to