Skip to main content

Week Update

The Liljas and I celebrated our one year anniversary this week! Can you believe I have been working for them for a whole year? I sure couldn't. It has been so fun to see Luke and Emerson change over this past year. Especially, to have watched Emme learn how to communicate and learn how to walk. Luke, physically, hasn't changed too much. But, he is comprehending so much more, carrying on conversations, and is so inquisitive about all sorts of things - lately it has been the Statue of Liberty and sting rays. Unfortunately for Luke there is only so much I know about these two things. I think we might upgrade from the children's library to the general library this week so we can get books on these two subjects!

Here are some pics of how much they have changed over the year:

Worn out after a day of playing. They both
fell asleep on the ride home.
At the Zoo with the HUGE gorilla! Em
didn't like being so close to him.
J Lo, I mean Emme at the pool last summer.
Picnic lunch last February.
Luke was skating on books.
Poor Emerson. This was after her
night in the ER. I couldn't take my
sunglasses away from her.

Luke swinging with his basketball.
Baby Emme isn't a baby anymore. She was
so little here.
Chef Luke in the "kitchen".

Emerson and her pigtails!
Trying to get them to "smile" for a pic.
Yea right, Mare!
It was a lot easier to get a pic back then...

Well, Reid and I had a busy weekend relaxing, running errands, and spending our last few moments together before he leaves for his new case in...HAWAII! That's right, looks like Reid will be working on Oahu for the next seven weeks. We are really excited for his case opportunity, all those Starwood points and flyer miles we will be earning again, and that we get a mini vacation in Maui the beginning of March. It has been great having him home, but I have always said it is easier to be a consultants wife when the consultant isn't local. The reason? Any wife (or husband for that matter) will agree that you still NEVER see your spouse on a local case. Welcome to the life of a wife of a consultant. Maybe someday I will spend more time blogging about it. Right now, I am so thankful that Reid has a wonderful job that he enjoys that is in a industry that has not been too hard hit by our country's economic recession.

My mom has had a rough ten days. She has been more upset lately - saying she wants to go home, is scared, and has asked several times if she is crazy. It seems this is the first time she has realized she isn't at home. The hardest part, as I have said before, is that there isn't a true measure of how much she really knows. Does she remember we were there five minutes after we leave? Does she know I am her daughter? Does she remember crying twenty minutes ago when she said she was scared and wanted to go home? She can't tell us. No one can tell us. Doctors and nurses can speculate that she doesn't remember. That someone with her progressed state of dementia would never remember something like that, but we'll never really know.

To leave you with a cute story, my dad has started taking my mom three scoops of pralines and cream ice cream from Baskin Robbin's every night. Needless to say, she has gained some weight! My dad says he tells her when he leaves her in the afternoons that he will see her later and he asks if he can bring her ice cream. She always says yes and eats every bit.

I am going to LR this coming weekend and will update you more after my visit.

Here are some pics my aunt sent me from her Saturday with my mom:

Mom and Dad.
Mom and her Mama, my Mimi,
giving sugars. I love this pic!
If I'm honest, I will have to tell
you that my mom is holding her
weenie dog stuffed animal like a phone and
talking to me. They snapped a quick
picture of it to show me. Sometimes
you just have to laugh!

Gigi and Mom.


  1. Your mom has good taste - i love pralines and cream! I am so humbled by their marriage and your dad's persistent love for her - it is such a beautiful picture of God's love for us...


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)