Skip to main content

A Mountain Top Day

Most of our days the past few weeks have been spent in the valley. Today, however, God gave us, what I will call, a mountain top day.

She had what we call a "window" this morning. From the moment she saw my dad this morning during his visit, she was aware enough to ask him to take her home. Home this time was their house. She became increasingly upset during this "window," not understanding why she was at the nursing home. The nurse gave her a does of the medicine used to calm her down in these situations and it worked quickly. By the time my dad left my sister had arrived to feed Mom lunch, and with that the window closed. 

The hardest thing about these "windows" is that she has no memory of them ever occurring, but we forever will. I will always remember her asking me and George to take her home with us that night at the hospital. She knew us, knew the visiting time was limited and even said it wasn't long enough. We all bare the emotional pain of a physically painless disease.

It seems crazy, but I have been thinking a lot about The Notebook (movie and book). It portrays a couples deep love, even when one of them loses some of the memories to Alzheimer's. She, however, has "windows" in the movie where she remembers. I remember thinking it was ridiculous to think that someone with Alzheimer's could have glimpses and remember like she did. It is true, they can, and just like in the movie it is hardest on the people watching the disease take control.

This afternoon, my dad and brother went back to see Mom and she was in a terrific mood! She was even able to hold her head up (docs are not sure if her inability to hold her head up all the time is because of the progression of the disease or her medication). It was a mountain top day for everyone who was able to spend time with her - Mimi, Auntie Joye, Dad, George, Eleanor, Mrs. Porter. They said she smiled, giggled, and walked up and down the halls (with her legs and in her wheelchair) tons of times. My Aunt fed her dinner, dressed her for bed, and tucked her in before 5:30 - she was so tired. God, we thank you for mountain top days!


  1. Your mom looks so wonderful in those pictures! I am so thankful that the Lord allowed her to have such a great day! Love you!

  2. Wow Mare....that is awesome!! She looks so good in the pictures. I am praying for many more "windows" in the coming days.

  3. Yay! Praise God! What a great day!

  4. What a praise. She looks so happy in the pics. I wish that you could have been there, and pray for many windows for you on your next visit!

  5. What an "Awesome" Day she had today! What a Blessing to your family. Her smile is absolutely beautiful still!
    You're in our thoughts & prayers daily!


Post a Comment

Past Posts

Mary Grace

At 2:00 am this morning, our sweet Mary Grace was welcomed to Heaven. We found out this afternoon that she had a large brain hemorrhage. Reid and I spent three precious hours holding our daughter tonight. The nurses wrapped a pink bow around her little head and we swaddled her in a soft pink elephant blanket. During those hours, we told Mary Grace how proud we were of her fight, how she fulfilled our dreams of one day having a daughter to call "Gracie," and we even took a little nap, snuggled together as a family. If we told her we loved her once, we told her a thousand times. We prayed over her and gave her back to the Lord. We miss her more than words can say. I feel like we were punched in the stomach today and left with the wind knocked out of our lungs. Its so hard to understand "why?" in all of this. Tonight when we left the hospital, Reid turned on this song by David Crowder Band and we listened to it on repeat the whole way home. Its the exact state of our

One day at a time

For the first time in my life I feel like I'm truly living one day at a time. Reid and I had a pretty good day yesterday. We were able to sleep in which was wonderful. Reid made us lunch and we sat outside in the backyard. It was a beautiful day and being outside did a lot of good for my mental health. :) There were still a lot of hard moments as memories from the night before would come rushing back to mind. We miss our sweet babies so much. Olivia had a good day yesterday. It was uneventful (which is a very good thing in the NICU) and they were able to turn down some of her medicine. We call every morning to check on our sweet girl and her nurse was quick to tell us how feisty our daughter is. We picked up on that in her first day of life, but it was funny to hear that someone else had observed the same. We are so in love with our feisty little Olivia. After we left the hospital, Reid and I went on a dinner date. It was so good for us to get out and feel like we

Madelyn Barrett

I really don't even know where to begin or how to write this post. I've put it off for several days hoping that maybe if I let things sink in a little more it would be easy. This will never be easy. As you know, we welcomed three beautiful little girls into the world on Friday afternoon. We had hoped to continue to "buy time" and hold off on delivery for several more weeks. God has always had a plan much bigger than either Reid or I could ever imagine. I have to chose to believe, everyday, that somehow this all fits perfectly into that plan. We knew from the time of her delivery that Madelyn was struggling the most. The circumstances surrounding her birth caused a lot of trauma to her tiny body. After a day of fighting for a positive outcome, the neonatologist came to visit with us and told us it was time to let her go. Late Saturday night we went to the NICU to hold our precious baby for the first and last time. She was absolutely perfect and looked just like h

Family of Four

If all continues to go well we will be headed home from the hospital tomorrow. I got a little stir crazy this afternoon and walking the halls just wasn't going to cut it so I went down to the gift shop to browse a bit. It feels so good to actually feel good after surgery. I also feel pretty rested and I'm very ready to settle into our new normal at home. My dad and Ann have been taking care of Olivia and have been such a tremendous help to us. Reid's parents were in town until this afternoon and Olivia got to spend some time with them yesterday. She's been very well taken care of by all her grandparents and I'm pretty sure she hasn't thought twice about us. Out of sight, out of mind. She has had a cough for a few days so Reid took her to the doctor this morning. Sure enough the cough is just allergy related but sweet girl has her first ear infection. The good news is that she hasn't run a fever and was able to get antibiotics to treat it. For all the change


God has blessed our family with quite a surprise! Olivia is getting a little brother or sister in early December. We are thrilled! As of today I am nine weeks along. We went to the doctor several weeks ago and were able to see the tiny bundle and hear the heartbeat. Everything looks great and we are so thankful! I'll share more details in the next few weeks. :)